Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Blessed Sacrament Church, Seattle.

I know I've mentioned this before, but if you are in the Seattle area, do make sure to attend liturgy at Blessed Sacrament.

The Western Province of Dominicans have done something amazing there, something exceptionally good in a secular city and a model for parish life.

The schola recently performed Handel's Messiah. You can find photos of the event, and parish life, on their Facebook page.

I won't lie to you, I wish I was still there!

Again, if you're in the Seattle area, you'll find a gem in the emerald city. It was a defining experience in my life, sadly unequaled to this day.


3 comments:

  1. I had the good fortune of attending Blessed Sacrament Church in Seattle the Sunday after Epiphany, a year or two ago. The liturgy, even the Novus Ordo liturgy, was served so well that it gave me hope, for the first time in forty years, that such a liturgy could be served well. The music was superb, and comported (for the first time in my experience), with the mandates of the Vatican Council Fathers in Musicam Sacram. And, as a cherry on the top of that superb Sunday sundae, two cantors sang the announcements of the dates of Lent and Pascha: one in an English setting of the Latin chant, the other, contrapuntally, and in close harmony, in a lovely modern organum.If I were given to envy, I would envy you the time you dwelled there. As it is, I can agree with you that you were richly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nearly twenty years ago an English academic fried of mine spent a semester in Portland, Oregon, where he praised a Dominican church there, Holy Rosary Church, in much the same way as this article does Blessed Sacrament Church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Western Province has found the formula, so to speak. I am not sure why or how, but they did. They are an example that Vatican II and the subsequent liturgical reforms can actually work. Unfortunately, they are a rare example - too much of the experience of contemporary Roman Catholicism runs to the contrary. Still, it is good to know parishes like these are ought there.

      Delete